Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #16--Wikis and how libraries are using them

My favorite wiki that was in the list was the Library Instruction Wiki. This wiki has tons of stuff for all types of librarians. I like the fact that there is a place where many contributors have added/deleted information for others to use. However, I do have two questions. How large of a file can you upload? And, if you want to use it for a school project can you limit the users that can add information?

My current website can only have files of less than 2.0 mb uploaded. Heck, some of my powerpoints and flip videos I created are well over that limit. Using a wiki to post my resources would be a great service to my school library--especially for the booktalks that my students will be creating this coming school year. The only thing that I am concerned with is the privacy issue. While I think it admirable that a student can submit a booktalk, edit it later at home and then resubmit a better version, I worry about the types of vandalism that could occur.

If I create a link to the wiki on my website and offensive material is placed on the wiki then I would be held accountable and my website would be filtered from school use. This is something that I definitely don't want to happen.

I can see teachers using this to give information to students and to create online courses but I would have to create an actual wiki to see how much work is involved and to also see how limits could be set so it is not vandalized. Some of the wikis had content that was not updated because of the vandalism factor and the information was then posted on a blog or website.

I would like to use a wiki to post all my handouts, booktalks, and videos for the students. This might enable me to have more room on my website for other services that I can offer the students too.

No comments: