Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #15--Perspectives on Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries

Into a new world of librarianship--

In this article Michael Stephens discusses the ways that librarians can sharpen their technology skills and library services offered to their patrons. While most people think that Library 2.0 encompasses only technology trends there are other facets that need to be evaluated. Are we meeting the needs of our patrons? Are we providing the services from past years in newer, more efficient/effective ways while adding new ideas and materials?

Listening to your staff, patrons and community members will help a librarian figure out what services are needed. Using Instant Messaging, wikis, blogs, mashups, social networks, etc... are all the current trends but to decipher what is really going to benefit your patrons is what is most important. Staying current doesn't mean that every new technology will work for your library.

While I agree with the jest of the article it is hard to acquire newer, more efficient and cutting edge technology on a school or even a small-town public library budget. What will work on my home computer may be blocked at school through the filter. A growing majority of our students have more technology at home and know how to use it more efficiently than our teachers because we are two years behind in purchasing or updating our equipment.

I am constantly researching new technologies to make my library run smoother and more welcoming for our technology savy students but it takes a lot of work to find "free" tools that our school will allow our overworked technology department to download into my library lab. I try to give training sessions on anything new that I think our teachers could benefit from using in the classroom as much as I can and this class has shown me a lot of neat tools they can use. Now I just need to get them to come to the library for an interactive look and hope they like them as much as I have.

No comments: